5:30 Wednesday, May 1, 2019
Inviting 8th Grade Students and their Families back in our newly remodeled space 415 16th Street SW!
School Board Meeting
Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 5:00PM415 16th Street SW Rochester STEM Celebrates Learning(Scroll Down) Also see our Resources page for PSEO info
Students/Parents click here JMC Login and find your grades and attendance
to see our videos.
to see and hear the MPR article
on our fencing team.
It’s always the right time to do the right thing – Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Rochester STEM Celebrates Learning (Scroll Down)!
See our Resources page for PSEO information
Whoo Hoo! 25% of our seniors are now in PSEO at RCTC!
PSEO Counselors: Mr. Jones (email) and Mrs. Wilkes (email)
Click HERE for enrollment and contact information.
We can use your support! More info HERE.
Rochester STEM Academy: The High School of the Future is Here Now!
R U Having fun? What’s holding you back?
What is Rochester STEM Academy?
A tuition-free public charter school serving approximately 60 students in grades 9 and 10 — then expanding a grade per year through grade 12. Rochester STEM Academy was 1 of only 2 charter school applications in the entire state to be approved in 2010 and chosen to receive a federal planning grant. Its founding board was brought together in response to the pent-up demand for an academically rigorous charter high school that could give a viable boost to Rochester’s industries and children in terms of both academics and future employment.
What is STEM?
STEM stands for science, technology, engineering and math. Rochester STEM Academy prepares students for higher learning and professions in fields such as microbiology, nursing, nanotechnology, computer graphics and software engineering, and physics.
- Rochester STEM Academy is the very first “STEM immersion” high school to open in Minnesota. The Academy is not just a public school with a STEM program, but an entire learning environment specially designed to ensure that students are fully prepared for STEM higher education and related professions. Of course, all other core subjects will also be taught.
- Located in a city known for its medical and technological industries, Rochester STEM Academy ensures that Rochester students acquire the skills, knowledge base, educational preparation and motivation required to succeed in higher paying professions and meet the technical demands of Rochester’s many STEM-related industries.
How is Rochester STEM Academy different?
- Rochester STEM Academy’s programming combines traditional classrooms with project-based/hands-on learning, utilizing ongoing assessments and data-driven decision-making.
- Rochester STEM Academy bases its academic approach on the most outstanding and recognized STEM secondary schools in the nation. Through a rigorous STEM immersion/college-prep program, its students will achieve academically, enter into post-secondary institutions, and be knowledgeable and interested in STEM subjects and professions.
- Rochester STEM Academy will inaugurate apprenticeship and internship programs, and utilize a wide variety of corporations, higher education institutions, and research centers as resources and partners to augment student learning opportunities. It will not settle for mediocrity, but push the boundaries of learning to their limits through a disciplined and supportive school culture that motivates and challenges every student to excel.
- RSA is authorized by Novation Education Opportunities and is operated independently of the Rochester Public School District.
- Gifted and Talented programs, Special Education services, English as a Second Language classes will be available to qualified students.
Who is eligible to attend?
All Minnesota students may apply for admission, regardless of whether they previously attended a public, private or home school. The Academy accepts students from all groups, including those with disabilities and special needs.
Postsecondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) Information
Please note that by March 1 of each year, a district must provide up-to-date information on the district’s website and in materials that are distributed to all pupils and their parents in grades eight through grade 11 about the program, including information about enrollment requirements and the ability to earn postsecondary credit. To assist the district in planning, a pupil shall inform the district by May 30 of each year of their intent to enroll in postsecondary courses during the following school year. A pupil is bound by notifying or not notifying the district by May 30.
Postsecondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) is a program that allows 10th-, 11th- and 12th-grade students to earn both high school and college credit while still in high school, through enrollment in and successful completion of college-level, nonsectarian courses at eligible participating postsecondary institutions. Most PSEO courses are offered on the campus of the postsecondary institution; some courses are offered online. Each participating college or university sets its own requirements for enrollment into the PSEO courses.
What does it cost?
Tuition is free. The Academy is supported by state, federal and philanthropic funds.
Where is Rochester STEM Academy located? 415 16th St. SW
Rochester, MN 55902 What is a charter public school?
By providing an option to traditional public schools, charter public schools play a critical role in the public education system.
- An absence of bureaucracy provides charter schools with greater flexibility to develop specialized programs and allows parents far greater participation in the school community.
- Charter schools are open to all students, regardless of their location or current school district.
- They are subject to the same mandatory testing and graduation requirements as all public schools in Minnesota and all teachers are fully licensed.
RSA Authorizer Information
Novation Education Opportunities
3432 Denmark Ave. #130
Eagan, MN 55123 (612) 889-2103
A community focused school providing a rigorous STEM education.
The mission of Rochester STEM Academy is to provide a highly supportive learning environment for minority, immigrant and other students currently underserved in traditional area high schools and greatly underrepresented in Rochester’s STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) industries through a challenging program that emphasizes creativity, accountability, ongoing assessments, college-preparation, and high academic achievement.
A Limited Number of Spaces are Available. Email email@example.com for more information about enrollment or fill out the interest enrollment form on the “Enroll Now” page of our website.
ts may take PSEO courses on a full- or part-time basis; 10th graders may take one career/technical PSEO course. If they earn at least a grade C in that class, they may take additional PSEO courses.
There is no charge to PSEO students for tuition, books or fees for items that are required to participate in a course. Students must meet the PSEO residency and eligibility requirements and abide by participation limits specified in Minnesota Statutes, section 124D.09. Funds are available to help pay transportation expenses for qualifying students to participate in PSEO courses on college campuses. Schools must provide information to all students in grades 8-11 and their families by March 1, every year. Students must notify their school by May 30 if they want to participate in PSEO for the following school year. For current information about the PSEO program, visit the Minnesota Department of Education’s Postsecondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) webpage.